On Monday, Pontypridd bread manufacturer Easibake Foods was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and fined £14,000 with £9,931 in costs after an employee’s hand was trapped by moving blades on a dough-cutting machine.
An investigation found there was no guard on the machine to prevent access to the moving blades. Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard that the worker was trying to clear a build-up of dough from the machine at the plant when she put her hand close to the blades.
She suffered a fracture to her right index finger and multiple fractures to her thumb as well as soft tissue and nerve damage to her right hand, which resulted in the temporary loss of movement in her fingers and required surgery.
And yesterday, Kent engineering firm G & P Machine Shop was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay £2,433 in costs after a worker lost the tip of a finger when his gloved hand got caught in an unguarded drill. The 62-year-old employee needed the top joint of his left ring finger amputated after the incident. He was able to return to work but has since retired.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and prosecuted the firm for failing to make sure protective measures were installed to stop workers accessing dangerous moving machinery parts.
Maidstone Magistrates heard that the employee had been drilling holes in steel plate using a magnetic drill with a rotary broach attachment. He was wearing gloves to protect himself from the hot swarf and cutting fluids. As he attempted to add lubricant to the tool, his gloved hand became entangled in the unguarded tool.